Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Son's Feet

Warning! If you are one of those people who is easily grossed out by other people's feet, don't read this! All you who know me will probably laugh pretty hard at this. The son in question, incidentally, is J.

My son has sweaty feet,
even as I had sweaty feet,
tough, dirty, thickly calloused feet, and slightly cracked
around the heels,
dark from
kicking through dust, stepping gingerly
over sun-hot concrete
(stopping sometimes to pick out burs or broken glass bits),
and then running happy in the muddy grass,
or climbing rocks my toes could grip
while others fumbled in their boots.
—And then my shoes!
My shoes!
Those childhood shoes, flimsy and stretched,
black, grimy inside, and smelling the way
I’m sure my feet would smell,
if I never washed them.
No wonder I tried not to wear them, and left them behind
so often that
my mother stopped buying me anything but flip-flops—
they made my feet sweat, and
(more importantly) confined them—
My bare, clever-toed, sweaty feet,
with the dirt of three continents ingrained in them.
Even now I cherish
my callused soles, refuse the
loofahs and files and polishing stones and lotions,
preferring their roughness and happy memories.

And now my son has sweaty feet.
Little, square, soft but strong feet,
with always dirty toenails,
that his socks stick to like Velcro.
“Now, push with your foot,” I tell him, as I try to wrestle them on
one half-inch at a time.
“Mommy, I don’t want to wear them,” he tells me, and I smile.
“I understand,” I say. “Why don’t you wear your sandals
today? Or go barefoot.”
“I want to go barefoot.”
“That’s good.” That’s good, my son.
Go enjoy the sun-warmed pavement, sharp grass and
soft dirt between your toes. Step on rocks and glass and burs, wince
and then run on. Feel
God’s earth beneath you, touch it, be connected
with it, grip it with your toes and
dance on it, enjoy its dirt and
life
before civility houses your feet with
shoes that are required, and
cut you off.

And then he runs outside,
and I too, following him over
hot rocks and prickly weeds with
tough and blackened joyful feet.

3 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

How fun!! Once the weather warmed up I quit trying to put shoes, even sandals, on my guys. They would be kicked off 2 minutes after getting in the backyard anyway. Ellie occasionally asks for her sandals but I know after a minute in the yard they'll be left behind. Which means they all three have the dirtiest feet I've ever seen! I love it.

I was the same way. When we visited the Farm in the summer the only time I wore shoes was to the creek (those rocks were SHARP!) or to town, even when I walked through the pasture.

I can just imagine what these cousins will be like after a summer day in Grammy's backyard!!! We'll have to hose them down. = )

Anonymous said...

I love it! So does Dad when I read this one aloud to him. Well do we remember the struggle to keep shoes on your feet. The problem was that the places where we lived when you were a child were not sanitary places. Worms and ugly infections in cuts were real possibilities. Thank goodness for flip flops which were at least cheap.

I loved going barefoot all summer as a child also though I never thought of that as being anything special. All country kids went barefoot all summer unless going to church or to the store. That was before the days of flipflops and other cheap sandals. No rural parent would have dreamed of wasting money on shoes for summer when the kids could just go barefoot. Shoes were a necessary expense once a year at the end of summer when it was time for school to start again. It was hoped that the new shoes would last until the next summer and my mom would often buy my shoes a bit large in hopes that I wouldn't outgrow them before time to discard them came again. The soles of my feet in summer would get so tough that I could walk on hot rocks without flenching. I also enjoyed the freedom, even when I twice stepped on nails climbing on old boards that my dad, a carpenter, had left out. So bare feet have a long, honorable history in our family.

Much love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Lara I loved reading this. When I think of you, I always think of bare feet. All the way back to college, I still see you barefooted! Nice to see some family traditions never die.
-Lori