Tuesday, August 26, 2008

If I Had Known Him

Now, I know that I wrote this one when I was about fifteen!

If I had lived another day,
when Jesus walked the streets,
if I had heard He was passing by,
would I have want our paths to meet?
If I had heard His words of love,
and seen Him heal the lame;
if I had watched Him at His work,
would I still revere His name?
If I had heard the claims
that Jesus was a king,
if I had been an honest Jew,
would that have meant a thing?
If I had stood there at the trial,
when He was there, unafraid;
if I had heard His calm defense,
would I be sorry He was betrayed?
If I had been at the crucifixion
and understood His words when
He forgave the men who hung Him there,
what would my feelings have been?
If I had been told excitedly
that Jesus lived again!
If I had heard their joyous shouts,
would I have believed them then?
I long to have known Jesus the man,
to have walked beside Him for a day,
not be born long after--and, yet,
perhaps--it's better this way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have sometimes wondered exactly the same things, though without expressing the thought so well. I think it's safer to have had the long history of faithful believers behind us. I'm afraid I might have been one of those who were too conservative to step out of the traditional ways.

Mom