Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"A Divine Song of Praise to God, for a Child", by Isaac Watts

This comes from The 1777 New England Primer, which I made an updated version of a few years ago.

How glorious is our heavenly King,
Who reigns above the sky!
How shall a child presume to sing
His righteous majesty!

How great His power is none can tell,
Nor think how great His grace;
Nor men below, nor saints that dwell
On high before His face.

Nor angels that stand 'round the Lord,
Can know His secret will;
But they perform His heavenly Word,
and sing His praises still.

Then let me join this holy train,
And my first offerings bring;
Eternal God will not disdain
to hear an infant sing.

My heart resolves, my tongue obeys,
And angels shall rejoice,
To hear their mighty Maker's praise
Sound from a feeble voice.

No comments: