Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hosea 3:1-5

Sometimes, lacking inspiration of my own, I have been known to work at turning Scripture passages into blank verse. I try to stay as close to the original text as possible, just rearranging the words slightly to fit the necessary rhythm. This usually works better with narrative passages than didactic (where I don't want to change anything). Pursuing my current theme, I offer up this passage of Hosea.

The Lord said to me, “Go again, and love
a woman who is loved by husband, yet
adult’ress, even as the Lord still loves
the sons of Israel, though they turn away
to other gods and love the raisin cakes.”
And so I bought her for myself; the price
was fifteen shekels silver, and half and
one homer barley. Then I said to her,
“You shall stay with me many days. You shall
not play the harlot, nor shall you have men;
so I will also be to you.” For so
the sons of Israel also will remain
for many days without a king or prince,
or sacrifice, or sacred pillar, and
without ephod, or household idols. And
then after, sons of Israel will return
and seek the Lord their God and David, King;
and trembling they will come unto the Lord,
and to His goodness in the last of days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your version makes the intent of the passage very clear, as well as being more poetic than the original. The Lord had such great confidence in Hosea as an obedient, submissive servant who wouldn't argue with Him over an order. Wish I could be like that.

Mom