Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Daily Grind of My Sinful Self

Each little shrugged-at sin

each little casual sin
that slipped by me today:

these sins You bled for.

Your most priceless blood,
Your divine unspeakable agony
that turned the skies black
and tore all our souls into salvation. . .

Well, it was for these:
my stupid laziness,
careless tongue,
secret prideful daydreams
and well-excused failure to just
do something I know I should do.
After all, I’m only human . . .

well, isn’t that the point??

Forgive me, Jesus Lord.
Forgive this poor cursed mortal who dares to
forget Your pain,
and carelessly go on sinning as if
she didn’t know that such sins
are only paid for in blood.

If Your pardons were handed out
like tokens,
so many to be used as needed,
oh, how long ago I would have wasted all of mine
on selfish little thoughts
lazy little ommittances,
and simple lack of effort on my part?

What would I do when I really messed up badly?

—Oh, but I already have,
that’s my point, isn’t it?
I already do,
every day,
and Your red blood runs over me and covers each weak offense,
and the torment of Your mighty soul
took place so that,
well, I could shrug at any sin
and still live to tell about it.

May I never shrug again.
And when I do,
please God, whose Hand can constrain even my wandering thoughts—
bring back Your Son,
and His dark hours and precious life-blood running out
--for me! for me!--
to my mind’s eye, that I may cease this
casual blasphemy
and once again remember

no sin is small that cost the life of God.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

Welcome to Blogland! I too realized that a novel was not in my writing. Essays are more my style - though these days my subject seems to just be the kids. I look forward to reading more of your poetry.

PS. Do you mind if I put you on the list of links on my sidebar? As your settings are now it will mean anyone can read what you've written - not that many people click through on my links. But I thought I'd ask permission first.

love, Steph